About Hester Rupert Art Museum
The Hester Rupert Art Museum was opened in July 1966 and declared a national monument in 1968. It holds a collection of over a hundred artworks donated by renowned South African artists.
The museum is the fifth oldest church building in South Africa. It was built in 1821 as a Dutch Reformed Church and was nearly demolished by a petroleum company in 1965. Dr Anton Rupert, son of Graaff-Reinet, entered into negotiations with the petroleum company and convinced them not to burn the building.
To show their gratitude, the Council named the museum in honour of Rupert's late mother.
Reviews for Hester Rupert Art Museum2 reviews Reviews of
5 out of 5 stars
Accommodation near Hester Rupert Art Museum
Hester Rupert Art Museum Map
*Distances are shown as the crow flies and not necessarily the actual travelling