2 Nights at Knysna Lakes Section Garden Route National Park SANParks
About 2 Nights at Knysna Lakes Section Garden Route National Park SANParks
The Knysna Forest is world famous for its magical beauty, dark and mystical recesses and giant Outeniqua Yellowwoods, some of which are almost a thousand years old.
• Two nights’ accommodation only.
Activities at the Knysna Lakes Section:
• Harkerville Coastal Hiking Trail
• Day Walks
• Cycling Trails
• The Garden of Eden
• Forest Legends Museum in Diepwalle
• 'Rooted in time' self-drive 4x4 route
• Kranshoek Picnic Area and Viewpoint
• King Edward VII Big Tree
Five things to seek:
• Knysna Seahorse - This peculiar fish occurs only in the Knysna, Keurbooms and Swartvlei estuaries and nowhere else in the world. Because of its limited distribution the Knysna Seahorse is listed as endangered on the IUCN's Red List - the first seahorse in the world to be listed as endangered. Hint: Visit the SANParks Thesen Island Office in Knysna to view the Knysna Seahorse up close!
• Big Tree - Also known as the King Edward VII tree, this famous landmark and visitor attraction near Diepwalle Forest Station is another Outeniqua yellowwood worth seeing up close. The tree is 800+ years old.
• The Forest Legends Museum - If you venture into the mysterious Knysna Forest you will find, at its heart, the Forest Legends Museum which houses stories about Woodcutters, Timber merchants, Botanists, Settlers and the elusive Knysna Elephant. The museum reveals some of the forest's best kept secrets and showcases the famous elephant skeleton.
• Knysna Dwarf Chameleon - A species of dwarf chameleon that is endemic to South Africa this forest dweller is the master of camouflage. They climb high into the forest canopy during the day to bask and then sleep in the centre of tree ferns at night, coiling their prehensile tails to look like fern fronds.
• Elephant walks - These three trails are a scenic delight with clear streams and mysterious green beauty. They follow old woodcutter trails in some parts, taking the hiker past some stately old Outeniqua yellowwood trees. Choose between the moderate White Elephant Trail with its enticing rock pools, the easy Black Elephant Trail or the moderate to difficult Red Elephant Trail.
Safari: Harkerville Coastal Hiking Trail. Day Walks. Cycling Trails. Water Activities include Kayaking.
PLEASE NOTE: from 1 September 2017, all visitors over 18 years old will be required to produce their identity document (ID), passport or alternative valid identification e.g. driver’s licence card for scanning upon entering/exiting the Park.
PLEASE NOTE: we are NOT able to provide any pensioner or other discount via the SANParks online... PLEASE NOTE: from 1 September 2017, all visitors over 18 years old will be required to produce their identity document (ID), passport or alternative valid identification e.g. driver’s licence card for scanning upon entering/exiting the Park.
PLEASE NOTE: we are NOT able to provide any pensioner or other discount via the SANParks online booking system.
Rates are subject to the number of adults and children staying. Adult rates apply to persons 12 years and older. Child rates apply to persons aged 2-11 years. Infants under 2 years stay free.
Rates do not include meals unless specifically indicated otherwise. Rates include 1% Community Levy, but exclude daily conservation fees. These are to be paid directly to camp on arrival.
SANParks have implemented a 1% Community Levy charge on all reservations (overnight and activity products) from 1 June 2012. This will be used to fund projects that support surrounding communities in bettering their livelihoods.
All accommodation, ablution and kitchen facilities are serviced by cleaning staff on a daily basis unless specifically indicated otherwise.
Several parks and rest-camps have retail facilities and restaurants. Vehicle fuel is available in several parks (or is available on the park periphery) and in the main rest camps in Kruger and Kgalagadi.
Bedding is supplied in all accommodation unless specifically indicated otherwise. Cooking utensils and refrigeration are provided in most accommodation units, unless specifically indicated otherwise. see more
2 Nights at Knysna Lakes Section Garden Route National Park SANParks Map
*Distances are shown as the crow flies and not necessarily the actual travelling